Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Do you adviseon immigration law. Not yet. Is there any

Hello do you adviseon...

Hello do you adviseon immigration law

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there any charge associated with it? i have already filed my i 140

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/14/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

thank you
good morning

What's your particular question with regards ***** ***** immigration petition?

My question is reagarding immigration
my husband is on h1B
i am on f1opt
he filled our i 140 . Now we want to go ahead and submit the green card app, ead, and travel doc appli
my question is, I already have an EAD card. As I am working as a pharmacist
my OPT will expire on this MAY
in this case on what ground should I apply for EAD
as I am not an H4
our i 140 is pending
thank you for listening.would highly appreciate if you can advise me in this situation

Give me just a moment to review the information you've sent, thanks!

sure. take your time.

Sorry for the delay.

I've reviewed the information you sent.

Have you already exhausted your OPT extension?

If you are eligible for OPT extension then you should speak with your school's DSO about getting it filed.

If you have already used an OPT extension, then you will need to transfer your status to H4 before you can apply for work authorization.

You would use USCIS Form I-539 to apply for a transfer of status, and you would use USCIS Form I-765 to apply for the work authorization as an H4 dependent.

You can find those forms and instructions here:

(1.) I-539

https://www.uscis.gov/i-539

(2.) I-765

https://www.uscis.gov/i-765

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you for your time. I cannot apply for opt extension as my degree (PharmD) is not under STEM.
On May, I will change my status to H4.

In that case, you do need to apply for a transfer in your status from F1 to H4.

Yes, once you change status to H4, you can apply for the work authorization.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones
hopefuly by then we will hear something from USCIS regarding i140
Thank you Nisha. I was planning to do so. I just wanted to make sure I am taking the right option.

You're welcome, no problem! Yes, you are.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!