Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Just got her American citizenship (based on marriage with an…

Anna just got her American...
Anna just got her American citizenship (based on marriage with an American Citizen,and she applyed for citizenship after 3 years from greencard).They have 2 small kids.
Anna catches her husband cheeting and decides to divorce him 1 month after obtaining her citizenship.
Question: is this a problem/could her citizenship be revoked because she divorces soo soon?
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/7/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

If they have children together, I wouldn't worry about it. She should keep evidence of the adultery and divorce, just in case in the future she ever applies for a parent or new spouse or sibling and they questioned what happened.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Ana IS planning to apply for her mother to become a permanent resident/then citizen.So this could be a problem,is she would show as "divorced"(divorced so soon after getting her citizenship0 when applying for her mom ?

As I said, because they have children together, I doubt that they will investigate, BUT, the idea is that when one applies with 3 years of Residency, it's because they have the intention to stay together and build a life together. So she might have to show that she discovered the adultery after her U.S. Citizenship was granted. If she discovered the adultery before she was granted U.S. Citizenship, then that might be a problem.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!