Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I want to contact to immigration immigration lawyer. I got…

I want to contact...

I want to contact to immigration immigration lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I got 1099k So i have question about it

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

2/6/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes, I am here. What are your questions?

[7:41 PM, 2/5/2018] ***** I am on a H1 visa and have my green card applied for and have my 1-140 approved. I sold some items on eBay which I had bought and no longer wanted but they sold for a profit. This was just a couple of times. The transactions went through PayPal. Within a day of selling these items, I found out that being on a H1 visa I am not supposed to sell stuff like this and thus I refunded the money back for a few of the larger transactions which amounted to about $13k. Today i received a 1099-K form from PayPal in the amount of $15,142. As a rule they are apparently not supposed to remove the refunded transactions and only report the gross transactions. I am worried if this would cause a problem to my immigration status?

Hi Are you there

Yes, give me a few minutes please.

This is a grey area since you were not working but you did make a significant income. It may be considered unauthorized employment. However, it already happened and you have no choice but to declare it in your income taxes now and hope for the best. It may go undetected by USCIS in the future since you already here and applying for a green card.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

I am currently employed. Why do you say 'since you were not working but you did make a significant income'? I am a little confused. Can you please clarify this?

I meant the situation is considered a grey area because you were not working in a second job (which would be illegal without another visa) but you did earn money selling items. Due to that, it can be considered unauthorized employment even though you were not actually employed just selling items.

Ok. Got it. Thank you for the clarification. Though I did sell items workth $15k, I refunded back $13k for some of the larger items and effectively only was paid $2k over the year for some of my other small used items that I sold. In this scenario would this still be a significant amount?

It is not terrible significant and you may be fine. You should speak to a tax specialist so that you can reflect this correctly in your taxes.

I hope this helps and hope you can kindly issue a good rating today.

Okay Thank you

You're very welcome!

I am not able rate you here rating stars and submit button is disabled. Tried allot

Oh that's my fault, I did not select a button. Try now please. Thanks for trying!

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney