Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Form I 130 has been approved for an immigrant visa applicant…

Form I 130 has been...
Form I 130 has been approved for an immigrant visa applicant being sponsored by a citizen. 1) For the next step a police certificate needs to be submitted. Would like to know what the this certificate needs to state? Is there a template available online? Alternatively can you recommend the text of what it should cover/must include? 2) Also the applicant had a previous maiden name and a previous married name. Are these names also required to be mentioned on this police certificate? If yes does it need to state what dates the person had each of these names or is it sufficient to just mention the person had prior names and to mention those names?
Thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/5/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Is the person outside of the U.S. or inside of the U.S.? If outside, in what country? Do they have any crimes in their background?

The person is outside and has no crimes in their background

In what country?

Pakistan

Take a look at this link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

Under police court and prison records, it says the following:

Comments: Pakistan has no nationwide tracking system for criminal activities. Police Character Certificates are available for a fee from District Coordinating Offices. However, they are not an accurate reflection of an individual's criminal record. An applicant who has committed a crime in one district may be able to obtain a clean Character Certificate from that district or another. Given the inaccuracy of these certificates, they are not required for consular processing.

So if you like, just have the beneficiary write a brief letter outlining all their previously used names and stating that they have no criminal record. It doesn't have to be anymore complicated than that.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!