Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need an expert in immigration law. Is there someone who…

I need an expert...

I need an expert in immigration law

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Is there someone who knows immigration laws in depth?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I live in nc. I am a resident alien married to an American since 1967.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My son was born before we married and had a green card like me.

1/31/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I'm happy to help you. What is your question regarding your situation?

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
My situation is ok. I still got green card and up to date passport (Italian)
It’s my son: he did not keep up with his green card or passport. He was born in Italy before we married(in Germany)
We all came over in 1970.
Since his dad is an American, can he apply for an American passport now?
We didn’t think about it sooner.
Phone call session started

Does your husband live in the US?

Does your son live in the US?

Was your son's birth registered in Italy to an American father? Did he receive a consular report of birth abroad?

both live and have lived here since 1970

his fathers name is ***** ***** Italian birth certificate.

Right, but that's not actually the same thing. In order to be an automatic citizen, he would need to have had his birth registered in the US embassy/consulate in Italy and been issued a consular report of birth abroad. Did he do that?

No. He was put on my Italian passport. We did not know about having to have him registered at American consulate because we were not married yet

Did you and your husband marry before your son turned 21?

He was born kn 1963 and we married in Germany in 1967

Then yes, he is considered a US citizen and can apply directly for a US passport. He must submit proof of his father being a US citizen like his father's birth certificate together with his birth certificate and your marriage certificate. Here is the law the applied in case he needs it.

Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father – “Old” Section 309(a)

A person born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under the formerly designated Sections 301(a)(3) and 301(a)(7) (changed to INA 301(c) and 301(g) effective October 10, 1978) of the INA as made applicable by the “old” Section 309(a) of the INA if the paternity of the child has been established by legitimation before the person turned 21. The “old” Section 309(a) of the INA is applicable to individuals who were 18 or older on November 14, 1986 and to individuals whose paternity had been established by legitimation prior to that date. Individuals who were at least 15 on November 14, 1986, but under the age of 18, could opt to have their claim determined in accordance with the provisions of either the “old” or the “new” Section 309(a)

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Thanks for your help. I’ll have to find an immigration lawyer close by to do this I guess.
Btw: I paid PayPal $59 additionally for a phone call. I did not receive such. Can I get that back ?

I can call you a little later to explain this further and give you his options. I am not able to issue a refund.

Ok please do call me thx!

I definitely will :)

Thanks Jen !

:)