Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have applied for my spouse immigration visa and her

prority date is near and...
I have applied for my spouse immigration visa and her prority date is near and my green card expiring on 14th feb, 2018. I just applied for i90 for renewal of green card and my fingerprint appointment is on 29th jan. I havenot submitted the documents to NVC yet because if i submit now then till the time they review my case , my green card will be expired. What should i have to do in this case? Renewal processing will be like 5-6 month. Is there anyway to submit any kind of proof that verify my status , so that i can avoid 5 month wait.
1/18/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Ok thanks

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Once you get the Receipt Notice for the I-90, go to the local USCIS center to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. That I-551 stamp is proof of your permanent resident status just like the green card.

For now, send in the stuff that the NVC is requesting, so that is does not delay your wife's processing. Once you get that stamp I told you about, send a copy of that to the NVC as well.

You can make an appointment for the stamp by going here: infopass.uscis.gov.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

is it ok to send i551 later?or it is better to send all together. i have already scheduled appointment on 30th jan for stamp i551. they will give stamp before expiration or i have to wait till my green card get expired?

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: As I said before, you to send the I-551 stamp to the NVC later.

And yes, you can get the stamp before the current green card expires. That's why I said you can go get it with the Receipt Notice. If you have the Receipt Notice for the I-90, which you should by now, you can go get the I-551 stamp.

Please give me credit for doing my job by clicking on those 5 stars. You can still ask follow up questions after you’ve done that.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
thanks

No problem at all. Best of luck!

I went today for fingerprint and they put one year extended sticker on back of my permanent resident card
and told me that i donot need i 551 stamp , the same resident card with extended sticker works. is that ok? or i have to get i551 stamp