Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My mother visited US on visitor visa on may 13 we have

My mother visited US...

My mother visited US on visitor visa on may 13 we have applied for a visa extension untill jan 20 we just recieved a approval from uscis untill jan 17 but her flight is on jan 20 can she stay for next 3 days here beyond approved visa timeline

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I am on h1 , we dont have any pending petitions

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes we have applied for visa extension for my mother and it is approved untill jan 17 but her flight is on jan 20

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you pls suggest, , can she stay 3 days beyond her approved date
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am waiting can you pls let me know what is happening

It isn't recommended, she is supposed to depart by the end date her visa was approved for.

However this shouldn't cause her any significant problems in the future. Re-entry bars are only applied if someone has overstayed their visa by at least 6 months.

Just keep in mind that any overstay is something that USCIS can see, and may be something taken into consideration if your mother applies for a tourist visa or another type of visa in the future.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Did your receive my prior message? I can resend it to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is in visitor visa right now
is 3 days allowed, I mean literally we just received the approval
It isn't recommended, she is supposed to depart by the end date her visa was approved for.However this shouldn't cause her any significant problems in the future. Re-entry bars are only applied if someone has overstayed their visa by at least 6 months. Just keep in mind that any overstay is something that USCIS can see, and may be something taken into consideration if your mother applies for a tourist visa or another type of visa in the future. I hope that helps!Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Yes she won't have any trouble departng the US, and this should not cause her any problems in the future.

Just keep in mind, that yes, USCIS will be able to see that she overstayed for a few days.

However, re-entry bars to the US do not come into effect until someone has overstayed their visa by 6 months or more.

Visa approval is very subjective, and is at the discretion of an immigration officer, which is why I pointed out to you that yes, USCIS will be able to see the 3 day overstay.

Again though, this is very minor and should not cause her any problems in the future should she choose to re-apply for another visa.

I hope that helps clarify! Let me know if you still have any questions.

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer