Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I need to ask a question to an Immigration Lawyer about all…

I need to ask...

I need to ask a question to an Immigration Lawyer about all the paperwork needed for the I 130 package for my step daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet for my step daughter, however, I did file for my wife (we got married in 01/2014) before and it got approved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I need to pass the question first to see if the lawyer knows the answer?

1/16/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Did you marry the mother of the child before the child turned 18?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, this is my exact question. My wife did not have custody of my step daughter, who is an undergraduate student at UCD now. Do I need a notarized letter from the other parent allowing permission for the child to apply for green card or does my wife need to gain her daughter's custody first? Thanks.

Well, as long as you married the mother before the child turned 18, you can petition for the child. And in fact, I recently completed such a case for a mother/wife and daughter/step-child without the need of notarized permission from the biological father. I can say that such permission was not sent nor did USCIS ask for such permission and the case was still approved.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI Mr. Senmartin. I just sent you the actual question a few minutes ago. Please reply here or reply to my email. Thanks.

And I just responded before you replied. Please refresh your browser, just in case. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.