Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have an immigration question. Currently on F1 student

Hello, I have an immigration question...
I have an immigration question. Currently on F1 student visa, finishing Master degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (still have another year and half to go. What after? I`m a single mom with 3 American citizen children - sons (10, 11 and 13). I`m originally from Slovakia, came with working visa 15 years ago, change my working visa to tourist and then to student visa. In between I had an OPT visa for a year after I got my Bachelor degree but otherwise I`ve been on student visa for past 13 years. Father of my children has remarried 2 years ago and wants our boys to stay here in USA. He lives in WI, I live with boys in MI. I have had PPO against father for over 2 years during divorce, but there has not been any big report or investigation that would qualify me for U visa. I have solo-physical custody and we share legal custody. Co-parenting is not going well - father refuses to communicate, ignores any need for cooperation, puts children in the middle, have them call me if he really needs something. He has expressed to children that if they want him to be at their special events I can not be there, etc. ... such attitude and behavior has not improve since divorce (4 years ago). How can I protect my children and provide for them when I can only work part-time on campus with F1 visa? How can I build my residency to protect my children from having to choose between mommy and daddy?
PS: Please no hurry with this question during Sabbath hours, till Saturday sunset, I`ll look at it afterwards. Just wanted to post it to let it go and rest.
Thank you!
Miriam
1/13/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Hi Jen Marie! Thank you, I`m available now to communicate via messages if you need more info or anything else to clarify ...
Jen Marie, I do not see any specific questions from you? What is it that you need to know?

I'm sorry it looks like my answer didn't post.

Unfortunately there is no other way for you to work while on F-1 besides what you are doing or if not you can work once you graduate on OPT.

If you would like to earn more, you can consider applying for a work visa such as an H1B visa in your profession. You can work and still go to school part time or full time, if you choose. That application can be done starting April 1st. You would need a job offer and employer willing to petition for you. You can also do this once you graduate with the masters if you'd prefer to wait. But there is no way around this while on the F1 visa.

There is no other way to build a residency unless you get a job and are petitioned here either for a visa or also for a green card. There's also the option of marrying a US citizen or permanent resident in the US.

The US would not offer additional offers just to keep your children close to their parents everyday. Family law and immigration are kept separately in the US.

I'm sorry, I wish I had another option for you. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and I can't change them. I can only explain them to you.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney