Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

It is not really immigration, as my fiance is now a US

Customer Question
It is not really...

It is not really immigration, as my fiance is now a US citizen for the last 10 years. Her family owns several real esate holdings in St Petersburg and one of them is designated for her worth about $50,000 in US dollars. If sold, now does one get the $50,000 into her US account at her bank? Is it difficult to transfer amounts that size from a Russian Bank to a US one?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I assume she has, she works at Mayo Clinic for last 10 years and is a US citizen with all voting rights, etc.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, her mother in Russia mentioned she would like to sell a property in Russia and have her invest that money in USA real estate instead

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/10/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

The $50,000 will be deposited wherever the seller wants to it be deposited - so it may be in a US bank or a Russian bank. It is the seller's choice. Transfer of money from Russia to US is not big deal and happens all the time - there is no special "forms" to fill out. The Russian bank can help with the transfer easily, if needed. The only problem would arise would be if the money was coming from Crimea - but it is not, so it is not an issue.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.