Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an American citizen that has spent the past 10 yrs in…

Customer Question
I am an American...

I am an American citizen that has spent the past 10 yrs in the Philippines with my wife. This is our second 6 month visit to US since 2015. I want to do a change of status for Filipina wife but we only have 1 month of stay left on her B2 visa. Can I file I539 to extend stay for change of Status and then send the required forms later, or do I just file it to extend the stay and then do a change of status. I don't think I can gather all the documents they want and file them before her time runs out on this visit.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

B2 with nothing pending

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing. We did file a CR130 in 2011 and were approved, but never went through the consultation because her sister died and we ended up raising my niece until now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I hope that will be enough

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/9/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 5 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So you mean you want her to get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency at this time? How long has she been in the U.S. this trip?