Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an American citizen that has spent the past 10 yrs in…

Customer Question
I am an American...

I am an American citizen that has spent the past 10 yrs in the Philippines with my wife. This is our second 6 month visit to US since 2015. I want to do a change of status for Filipina wife but we only have 1 month of stay left on her B2 visa. Can I file I539 to extend stay for change of Status and then send the required forms later, or do I just file it to extend the stay and then do a change of status. I don't think I can gather all the documents they want and file them before her time runs out on this visit.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

B2 with nothing pending

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing. We did file a CR130 in 2011 and were approved, but never went through the consultation because her sister died and we ended up raising my niece until now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I hope that will be enough

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/9/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So you mean you want her to get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency at this time? How long has she been in the U.S. this trip?

Ely, Counselor at Law