Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Citizen and my future husband is Italian, can we get married…

Customer Question
Hello, I am American...

Hello, I am American citizen and my future husband is Italian, can we get married in Swiss Lugano

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just this

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/9/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Thank you
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Are you wondering whether your marriage in Switzerland will be recognized in the US for petitioning for your spouse's US residency? OR whether you two are legally allowed to be married in Switzlerland?

We would like to know if we can get married and recognized legally
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Thanks for clarifying. Give me a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Yes, your Swiss marraige will be recognized for US immigration purposes.

The US does recognize foreign marriages as long as you have a valid marriage license from that country.

Once you two are married, this is a list of the USCIS forms you'll need to submit for your spouse.

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
Form I-130A, Biographic Information
Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record

Other supporting documents you'll also need to submit are:

• copy of your marriage license
  • two color photos, taken within the last 30 days, passport style
  • birth certificate, with an English translation if it's not already in English, and
  • required fee for the application and for biometrics

You can find all of these forms and their instructions here:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms

See also:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Is it special process in time to get married in Lugano
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Are you referring to the waiting time for a location in Swiss Lugano specifically?

if we have to wait long after ask for the date and file documents
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

No once you two are married, you can file all of the documents I mentioned above immediately with USCIS.

You don't have to wait a set amount of time.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

We don’t have to set time in Swiss to be married just walk in?
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

I'm sorry, I thought you said your question was referring to the filing of your documents with USCIS for your spouse's US permanent residency.

As far as the procedure for the Swiss marriage is concerned, you'll need to contact the local civil registry office to find that information.

Here's an article you may find useful:

https://www.expatica.com/ch/family-essentials/Getting-married-in-Switzerland_106051.html

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Here's an article you may find useful:

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Hello, I don’t have anymore questions at the moment, thank you and have a great day!
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

You're welcome, you too!

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me so that I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago