Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm the manager of a company, need to get some B1 with OCS…

Customer Question
I'm the manager of...

I'm the manager of a company, need to get some B1 with OCS for some of my employees. Do you specialize in this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No, nothing They all have B1/B2 Visas though.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. The only reason I even know this exists is because one of my customers required it to allow our boarding in their oil rig.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/8/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Ok.

OK, thanks for allowing me time to do that. What are your sepcific questions about this?

I wanted to know how to do this proccess, and what exactly is required.

OK, thanks. I will prepare my answer now. Note that legal issues can be complicated. Therefore, you might experience a bit if a wait while I prepare my answer. Please be patient as I do that for you.

Sure

Thank you for your patience. Federal regulations at 33 CFR 141.15 restrict certain types of employment to to US citizens or permanent residents. There are exemptions to this rule for the following sitautions:

- the President of the U.S. can grant an exemption in times of national emergency

- when a temporary shortage exists for qualified citizen and permanent residents. (The Chief of the Coast Guard's Division of Foreign and Offshore Compliance is grants this exemption)

- there is an exemption for a foreign-flagged and foreign-owned vessel or platform if it is more than 50% foreign-owned.

- there is an exemption for the marine crew of a foreign-flagged and American-owned vessel or platform, if the crew are members of the foreign country whose flag had a national registry manning requirement before 1978.

5. there is an exemption for technically-trained specialists who are called in to handle emergencies and other temporary operations (i.e., well-capping, explosions, fires, well-logging, construction, etc.) or to conduct training, if it is not part of the regular compliment of the unit, as determined by the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection.

Which of those reasons applies in this case?

I am still available to answer your question. Do you still want my help?