Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My h1b is expiring in October 2018. My I-140 was approved in…

Customer Question
My h1b is expiring in...
My h1b is expiring in October 2018. My I-140 was approved in 2012. I'm on a non technical post of business analyst in men's fashion clothing business. Since this was legal for h1b visa holder to do business without stop or bothering his/her current h1b work schedule, so I started my own line of businesses and hired several local Americans and started manufacturing dressy stuff locally involving dozens of unemployed youths. Beside this, I've been active like freelancing in church activities since 2006 but never thought of using this ground for changing my immigration status from h1b to R1 while Trump administration is going to ban h1b extension. I can ask and several church can come up in my favor to sponsor me for my new R1 conversion. Please suggest me on this.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/8/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Ok

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

We don't really know what is going to happen with the H-1B. Keep in mind that the President does not make the laws. So the H-1B cannot be eliminated without an act of the U.S. Congress. Anyway, what would you like to know about the R-1?

Because my green card process is taking too much time and that is stopping me doing businesses that I already have so I wanted to re-route my green card through R1
I'm interested in applying for change of status from h1b to R1 with your help.

What country are you from? And what exactly would you like to know about the R-1?

I'm from India. Because of my dressy clothing business I've been enjoying in integrating with numerous churches and it's great people from several small surrounding towns and in their impact and God blessing, I emerged with a talent of preaching and gospel singing. When churches started calling me to join their hands I joined them with several other activities also. So seemingly, I turned out to be a friends of them from different religious background Hinduism. Fact, that I was never believing in good but because of them I turned out to be a perfect believer. I never thought of any greed or lust beside my dressy business goal. But recently when I heard about Trump administration turning against extending h1b visa, I imagined first time about my deep and old affiliation with churches where my engagements were no less than 10 years as volunteer worker, gospel singer, promoter and preacher all without any payment or written contract. So I just checked with some of my friends and asked asif they can arrange my sponsorship for R1. None of them had any idea on this so I decided to go through you, the attorney at law, to initiate and execute everything properly.Tell me everything about R1, while my plan is clear to give up h1b and green card process in half way yet after approved I-140, for R1 where I could still be able to run my personal clothing businesses and keep serving in churches in the sweetest name of Lord, -Jesus.

Well, here is the official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/r-1-temporary-religious-workers/r-1-temporary-nonimmigrant-religious-workers

And here is a good site that provides you a good amount of information about the R-1 and the requirements and limits. After reviewing both sites, come back here and let me know if you have any specific questions about the R-1:

http://www.visapro.com/work-visas/r1-visa/faq/

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Do you have additional questions for me. Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your understanding and respect. Thank you.