Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My conditional residency card expired in 2003 and I cannot…

Customer Question
Good Morning. My conditional residency...
Good Morning. My conditional residency card expired in 2003 and I cannot remember if I filed to have the condition removed as it was quite some time ago. I have not left the US and have since remarried. What are my opitions to get my card renewed? Thank you
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/8/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Have you now remarried to a US citizen?

Thanks for clarifying. Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thank you!

Your conditional residency cannot be renewed under these circumstances, however your new spouse can file a new spousal petition for you.

Based on the information you shared, it sounds as though you may have fallen out of valid immigration status, however a bona fide marriage to a US citizen can "cure" this issue.

Here is a list of the documents your spouse will need to file for you:

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
Form I-130A, Biographic Information
Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization (optional)
Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (optional)

Other supporting documents you'll also need to submit are:

• two color photos, taken within the last 30 days, passport style
  • birth certificate, with an English translation if it's not already in English, and
  • required fee for the application and for biometrics

You can find all of these forms and their instructions here:
https://www.uscis.gov/forms

See also:
https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you. During the time that my CR was valid, my ex wife "said" she filed paperwork , so I'm not sure what my residency is because she was never truthful with me in most regards. So I have no idea if the paperwork was filed, if I was approved, where the rest of the paperwork is as we had moved a couple of times. Is there a way to find out without raising any red flags.? Thank you.

Yes, you can request a copy of all of the documents in your file.

In order to do so you'd need to submit a FOIA request. Here's a link with all of the details and instructions on how to do that:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/freedom-information-and-privacy-act-foia/how-file-foia-privacy-act-request/how-file-foiapa-request

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer