Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am the spouse of an E2 visa holder (dependent). We have 1…

Customer Question
I am the spouse...

I am the spouse of an E2 visa holder (dependent). We have 1 daughter. We are currently divorcing. What will happen with my and with my daughter's visa after the divorce?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

My husband also submitted an EB5 visa and he said he applied for green cards in June 2017. Now he is denying it so I am not sure it is true. His immigration lawyer won't give me any information although she is the one who is dealing with our paperwork too

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I am trying now and doing my research. This is how I found this site

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am currently in Europe with my daughter. I am not sure how we can return to the US. As if it is true that he submitted the application for greencard then we might have left in the adjustment of status period so that can be a problem. If he did not submit that then we can probably come back with our E2 visa but for sure I have to leave the US after the divorce. But what about my daughter?? I would never leave her behind. Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/8/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

thank you

I'm so sorry you're in this situation. Unfortunately once you and your husband divorce, your E2 will become invalid as of the date of the divorce. It is still valid now. If you are in the US when you divorce, You can remain in the US for a reasonable amount of time. But if you stay more than 6 months, you will receive a 3 year bar from returning to the US one you leave. So it's advisable not to do that.

As far a your daughter, her visa continues to be valid but custody issues are something you will have to work out in the divorce. Just because she has a visa does not mean a judge can force you to leave her in the US. You can ask for full custody. You must agree on an arrangement with your husband and if not the judge can intervene.

If you husband really applied for EB5 and you are still married, you can refile your I-485 adjustment application in the US if you come back.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."