Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a husband who has really bad anger issues. He has…

Customer Question
I have a husband...

I have a husband who has really bad anger issues. He has never hit me bit i fear he will one day. We have a son who will be two in Febuary. I am no longer happy and afraid to leave. He has threatend to kill me and take my son to mexico if i try to leave. My friend has heard him say that and has witnessed alot of our verbal agreements. He is illegal and hes working with fake ids and fake social. They were once his imformation sonce he had DACA but he let it expire. What can i do in my situation? Im scared to go to the local cops cause i feel like they wont help. I want to move but i fear he will find me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than my son he has a daughter with another girl and is paying child support

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/7/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm so sorry about your situation. So, generally, if you are concerned about the safety of your child, I would strongly recommend that you file for a child custody order with a local court. Usually, the family court in your county is going to have the forms available for this. You should explain that he has anger issues and you're concerned the child may be kidnapped.

The judge may enter an order that temporarily would prohibit him from taking the child and call a hearing for a later date to see what needs to be done. Many times, they will order the two of you to mediation to work out the issues, but if there is enough information to suggest that you should have custody, then they'll give custody to you. Nonetheless, if you go to mediation, then a mediator will work with the both of you to come up with an agreement. If there are issues of abuse, then the court is going to assign a guardian to look out for the child and they will interview all parties involved and make their recommendation. Coupled with the mediator's report and the guardian's report, the court will make a decision.

You may also be able to get a restraining order in the meantime which would prohibit him from taking the child.

His immigration status will not matter.

What other questions did you have for me today?