Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My soon to be ex husband never told me he was an

Customer Question
My soon to be...

My soon to be ex husband never told me he was an immigrant... I found some papers cleaning out his stuff. They say he applied for permanent residency after he married me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I found the paperwork yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

My divorce is supposed to be final mid month

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I left a message with his minder, but am very concerned with the deception

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/7/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 month ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Happy to help. What is your specific question about this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He never told me the truth about being an immigrant. We have a three year old, and he has been so untruthful... I’m worried about him taking my child
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Plus he. Stole my credit cards and destroyed my credit, and had someone refund my homeowners insurance money to him
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think he used me to gain permanent residency
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has grown children here, I never considered he he as not a us citizen.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think he let his residency expire before we married
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I only know this because of the application for residency that I found yesterday

I'm so sorry this has happened.

First let me explain that he could not have received permanent residency in the US without your consent because in order to get it, you two would have had to attend an interview at the local USCIS (immigration) office. IF you never did that, then he did not receive his permanent residency through you.

Just so you know, If he does not have permanent residency and he departs from the US, then he will not be allowed back in to the US.

If he already has permanent residency and it is just the green card itself that expired, then all he has to do is renew it. It doesn't mean he lost his permanent residency status when it expires. He just needs to submit form I-90 to renew it. Marrying you would not give him any additional benefit if he is already a permanent resident.

As far as taking your child, this is a concern that you must discuss with your divorce attorney so that it can be brought up in your case. If you don't want your child to be able to travel with him outside the US, then it should be a part of your agreement. That is a divorce issue and not an immigration law issue.

Did you have any additional questions?

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney