Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have some questions about card application

Customer Question
Hi, I have some...

Hi, I have some questions about green card application

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/7/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Sure, what are your specific questions?

Hi, here is my situation. I'm on F1 and married to a US citizen, just filed I-485 yesterday, which was the second time I filed I-485. The first time was denied because I went back to my country without first seeking Advance Parole with USCIS. My grandmother was passing, I didn't have a choice but to abandon it on purpose. I wasn't supposed to be able to come back here, because when I filed I-485, I lost F1, and when I left the US, I abandoned I-485, however, they let me back in, my lawyer thinks that it's a mistake made by Immigration, but since it's not my fault, it's fine. Also, in the decision letter, the officer made it clear that I was put back on F1, therefore, I am here legally
However, I need to take a semester off due to some family problems, meaning that I would lose my F1 status again. I wonder if my case gets denied again, does it mean I have to leave America?
I-130 was approved the first time I applied
my concerns are:
1. Since I-130 was approved the first time I applied, does it mean I have a higher chance of getting everything approved this time?
2. If I do get denied again, does it mean I absolutely have to leave? If not, what other options do I have?(I asked another lawyer, he said, I could try again, however, if i get denied the second time, I should also be prepared to be denied again the third time, and if I keep applying, eventually, I could get deported for doing so)

1. As far as the marriage goes, you have been approved. Therefore yes, it is slightly easier now because the harder part is done.

2. There is no reason you should be denied if you entered the US legally and you did. The only reason would be if USCIS believes that you entered the US as a student with fraudulent intentions to file your I-485 here. This is not allowed. As long as they do not believe this, then you should be fine.

If you were denied, whether you could apply again and whether it's recommended to do so depends on the reasons WHY you were denied. I cannot guess that before it happens especially because I don't see a reason why you would.

If you were denied for some reason that can be corrected, then yes you can file again once you correct it.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."