Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was arrested for possession of about 2 grams of marijuana…

Customer Question
i was arrested for possession...
i was arrested for possession of about 2 grams of marijuana in september of 2017 and i am planing on applying for my green card because i need it to get my drivers license. I have not been charged for the crime, i have not received any paper work notifying of the charges yet. Is it a bad idea to send my application now?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/6/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You can file now, but they will not approve you for the I-485 with an open criminal case. When the case closes, you will need to provide USCIS with a certified copy of the police report and court disposition. If you are convicted, you will have to prove it was less than 30 grams and you might have to file an I-601 waiver. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-601

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.