Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying for my card because I was admitted as refugee…

Customer Question
Hi there, I am...

Hi there, I am applying for my Green card because I was admitted as refugee into USA in 2005. I have once before applied for Green card but since I relocated and never received my appointment paper my request was denied based on abandonment. Few months ago I've filed a FOIA to figure out what to do and I was instructed that I can re-apply however for the past few years I have had 3 arrests and I'm not sure how I can explain them on my form even though they have been dismissed and expunged. For 2 of these arrests I do not have any paper work or exact timing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes I have filed for Green Card in 2006 however did not follow up and therefore my request to obtain a green card was denied.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/6/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Hi James, my main concern is my first arrest which it did happen in Los Angeles due to carrying crak for less than 1 gram for personal use, I was pulled over and arrested at scene and released a day later and then I was assigned to classes as my probation and finished the program.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: You have to be honest and answer the questions as they are asked even if they were dismissed and expunged. You will eventualyl be fingerprinted. That is for a background check. And expungements can often show up in a background check. If you do not provide that information and they find out, it will be a big problem for you.

You need to contact the county clerk in the county that these arrests were made. You need to request certified copies of ALL of your records. If you cannot remember which counties they were in, then contact every county you've lived in in the US and make the request. If they do not have a record, have them provide a No Record letter and send that in.

The other thing you can do is get an FBI background check done on your own, to see what is in your background. This helps to assure that you aren't missing anything.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

That is important information. What happened in that case?

I was set on probation for 18 months and had to attend classes and finished my classes and the probation was done upon finishing the class.
I also hired a lawyer for this matter at that time.

Keep in mind that my job is to provide you with information, whether the outcome is what you had hoped for or not. Only telling you what you to hear is not the purpose of this site and it doesn't do you any good. So if you are upset about the outcome but the quality of my customer service is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. If you need more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

For immigration purposes, a conviction exists when there has been either a formal judgment of guilt entered by the court, a plea of guilt or no contest, or an admission to the offense, and the court ordered some form of punishment, penalty, or restraint on your.

Did you admit to the offense, or, plead guilty or no contest?