Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I met my husband in 1990, we applied for card right away by…

Customer Question
Hi I met my...

Hi I met my husband in 1990, we applied for green card right away by years went by and nothing from immigration so 2012 we spoke to. A lawyer he helped my husband get the greencard. Problem I divorced him in 2010.I am bipolar on top of other mental issues.. Will he be deported even though we lived as husband and wife for 26 years.. We was only apart 1,yr

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Homeland security came to our house recent. To talk to me they took photos. Told me to get a marriage consular.. Also told me we should go to church

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/6/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.
How did the lawyer help him get a green card through marriage in 2012 if you were divorced in 2011?
He didn't know we was divorced or over looked it.. I had papers from a therapist stating how the relationship between myself and my ex husband was an unstable one. Yes in the paper work it said he was my ex husband

Which paperwork said he s your ex-husband?

Did he ever have a conditional green card that was good for 2 years and then apply for removal of conditions?

He's had it for about 2 years now.. Maybe a little longer. But I don't think the lawyer said he had to remove any conditions.. He actually told him in 6 months he could apply for citizen ship.And the paper work was my mental health records.. He was showing the court how he was my support.

Did he refile for the green card in 2012? Or was it the same case as from 1990, it's just that the lawyer helped move it along and find out what was wrong in the case?

We didn't get one in 1990, but he just tried to see why we never heard from immigrations. After he resend our paper work back in with the fees I think we got it less than 6 months.

OK, then something is very wrong here. Either the USCIS made a mistake or the lawyer made a mistake or the information you are giving me is incorrect. There is no way that someone who is not currently married to a US citizen would be able to get a green card. The basis for his green card is marriage, so you needed to be married.

Has the USCIS challenged his permanent resident status yet?

No but the people from homeland security said he would get a letter starting deportation

So someone brought this to their attention? Or did he receive a letter? What did they say is the reason for starting removal proceedings?

I guess it was brought to thier attention.. I really don't know. The reason they said they would start is the fact we wasn't legally married when he applied second time. Even though we lived together 26 out of 27 years

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Keep in mind that my job is to provide you with information, whether the outcome is what you had hoped for or not. Only telling you what you to hear is not the purpose of this site and it doesn't do you any good. So if you are upset about the outcome but the quality of my customer service is good, please do not give me a negative rating. I am only a messenger. If you need more information, feel free to reply and let me know - I am here to help you.

ANSWER: You asked if he will be deported. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to predict if he will actually be deported. But there is a basis for deportation based on the fact that someone did not provide truthful information for him to get his green card: that is considered material misrepresentation, which is a deportable offense. IT does not matter that you lived together for so long. That would mean any roommate for someone would be able to get a green card, but that is not the case.

A marriage based green card means there has to be a MARRIAGE. And since there was not, he was not entitled to a marriage based green card. I'm very sorry, but again, I do not make the rules. I am just here to give you information, so please do not give me a negative rating for that.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!