Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a physician of Internal medicine and rheumatology from…

Customer Question
Hello,I am a physician of...
Hello,I am a physician of Internal medicine and rheumatology from libya and trained in US. Married and has two lovely kids Both US citizen. I did sign contract with US hospital and offer me petition to apply for non immigrant H1B. I did apply in Istanbul US consulate however I was put under administrative process for more than six months now. Can I apply for same visa category H1B at other US consulate? Or what’s your legal recommendationThank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/4/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

You understand that the issue you are having is the travel ban and that no one really knows when it will be lifted?

I’ve applied for H1B visa which technically should it affected by the ban for the libyan
I meant to say should not it
They’ve ban for libyan citizens the immigrant visa, non immigrant visa (B1, B2 and B1/B2 visa as you know

Yes, I understand, but the reason that the ban exists is for security reasons because the governments from those listed countries are not helping with the security background checks that the U.S. wants to run. So while yes, the H-1B may not be banned for persons from Libya, that does not mean that you are totally unaffected. They are still going to run more background checks that could take awhile. No way to know how long. As to your question, most of the time, no, you could not go to another U.S. Embassy or Consulate unless you had a very urgent or emergency reason. This is to discourage forum shopping. Even if you did have an urgent or emergency reason, and another U.S. Embassy or Consulate took you for processing, there is no guarantee that you would not also undergo Administrative Processing there and more than likely you would still undergo it as I believe the reason for the Administrative Processing is most likely the security background checks. I wish I had better news for you, but hopefully the checks won't take too much longer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!