Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

When applying for the US Citizenship, form N-400, based on…

Customer Question
When applying for the...

When applying for the US Citizenship, form N-400, based on my marriage, do I need to include my husband's child, who has a different last name to him, we do not know her current residence, but he pays child support for her? Also, if I would like to change my name back to my maiden name, should I request for that change?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I am a permanent resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/2/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Do you mean if you need to include your husband's child on YOUR N-400 form?

Correct.
Because when I was filling my application it said that I needed to include stepchildren.

Yes, you must include the step child even if you do not know her address because legally it is your stepchild. You can put the information that you do know and whatever you don't know, you can write "DO NOT KNOW."

Yes, you can request for your name to be changed back to your maiden name on the form.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Also, I got a speeding ticket roughly a year and half ago. I had to pay two fines of $300 each & got 6 points on my license. Do I need to include that?

Yes, you must include that.

Hope that helps and that you are able to issue a rating with the stars on the top. Good luck!

to the following questions, do I answer yes?1. Have you EVER committed, assisted in committing, or attempted to commit, a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested?2. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason?3. Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense?4. Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense?

1. Have you EVER committed, assisted in committing, or attempted to commit, a crime or offense for which you were NOT arrested? NO

2. Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason? YES (because you were cited, then list info in question 29)

3. Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense? YES

4. Have you EVER been convicted of a crime or offense? YES

These are minor and will not be held against you but you should disclose them to be completely honest.

Hope this clarifies.