Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying for US citizenship for myself and my husband.

Customer Question
I am applying for...

I am applying for US citizenship for myself and my husband. My husband had an arrest, which resulted in nolle prosequi, the record expunged. My question is to the question no. 29, in N-400, why were you arrested - What should I answer ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I have green card for over 5 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

You mean N-400 has been filed ?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/2/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

If he was arrested, he must still answer yes to that question even if the result was a Nolle Pross.

If charges have been filed he must also answer yes. But whether he has been convicted, he can answer no.

He must provide all the court related documents together with his application, certified copies of the arrest report and disposition.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

I get that we need to answer yes, but there is a column asking why were you arrested, cited, detained or charged? What should I write there? Should I write the actual charge ? The charge is assault and battery against a family member

I apologize, I misread which question you were asking about. Yes exactly, he must explain the charges honestly in question 29. If his actual charge was assault and battery, then that is what he must write under "why were you arrested." Then he should write the date of arrest, the city and state and then in the last column write "Nolle prosequi ." It will not be held against him because there was no conviction.

Hope this is helpful.

That helps, it just looks so bad so I was worried but it alleviates to get confirmation from lawyer that it can’t be held against him. The actual charge as per arrest warrant is va code 18.2-57.2, assault and battery against a family member <my name>. The box doesn’t even have that much space to write all this. Would you recommend he write assault and battery or the code ?

You can just write assault and battery. You still have to provide the documentation with the form. He can send only the disposition, but take the arrest report to the interview in case they ask him for it.

Glad it's helped. Please kindly remember to leave a rating with the stars on the top. Good luck!

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney