Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

How are you. I seek help with asylum. I am seeking your help…

Customer Question
How are you Lawyer's...

How are you

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm good, thanks. How can I help?

I seek help with asylum

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am seeking your help and guidance regarding asylum here in the USA. I would like to share my story in writing with you. I am fourth year PhD student with a J1 Visa on Pakistani Passport and also working as an employee (Research Assistant) to support my educational and living expenses. I was born and grown and studied until master degree in Pakistan. Subsequently, I moved to the USA for PhD studies. It is important to mention here my J1 status is still valid.Originally, my parents belong to Afghanistan. They migrated to Pakistan early 80s during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. While staying in Pakistan, most Afghan refugees got citizenship of Pakistan for their survivor as historically; Afghans have been vulnerable to persecution and discrimination by Pakistan authorities. Pakistani Govt. doesn’t consider Afghans with Pakistani citizenship genuine citizens of Pakistan even if they were born in Pakistan. Therefore, Pakistani Authorities have been ordered to cancel Pakistani citizenship of Afghan refugees (proof is available). After the 2014 Peshawar school massacre (terrorist attack) by members of Pakistan's Tehrik-i-Taliban, this persecution reached to the apex and Afghan refugees were forced to leave Pakistan including my family leaving behind the well-established business and rejected by the land they have thought of as home for decades. Since then Pakistani govt. has been re-verifying the citizenship cards of all citizens and canceling cards of people arrived after 1978 per Pakistani law (after Soviet invasion). The fear of persecution and not meeting the criteria of 1978, forced my family as other afghan refugees to leave Pakistan. I am extremely afraid of police coercions and persecution as they will put me in jail in Pakistan like Sharbat Gula, a famed afghan girl,who graced an iconic cover of National Geographic magazine in 1985. Apart from persecution and harassment, without a valid citizenship of Pakistan, one cannot exercise the rights that a valid citizenship holder enjoys. For instance, one cannot get a job and open a bank account in Pakistan and buy and sell property in Pakistan. I am married and my wife is here with me. She carries an Afghani passport as she was refused to provide Pakistani citizenship. It is pertinent to mention here that Pakistani citizenship is renewable and I am sure I will be arrested and persecuted upon returning Pakistan and my citizenship will be revoked as my family no longer living in Pakistan and have no intention of going back to Pakistan because of persecution by police and local authorities.Moreover, Pakistani citizens and authorities are hostile towards Afghan refugees especially these days. people in our neighborhood and friends in academics have been planting propaganda against me both in person and social media like Facebook (proof is available) posting my picture with my name as an afghan refugee and urging Pakistani authorities to take action again me (Proof is available). I feel like a Pakistani as I was born there. However, I am pretty sure I will be arrested and persecuted because of my nationality upon returning by the Pakistani authority.Currently, my family is living in Kunar Afghanistan (proof is available). The security situation in Afghanistan is very unstable and fragile especially in Kunar where insurgency is at its peak due to the predominance of Taliban and ISIS. Taliban hunt down people and their families who work/stay with/in the US. Many of them have been shot at or kidnapped, and others have hard evidence in the form of death letters and death lists from the Taliban. One of my family members was attacked by Taliban suicide bomber while working in the Kabul bank (Kunar Branch). However he was survived while sadly, two policemen were killed (proof is available). The video proof is also available for this accident. My brother also survived by many attacks in Kabul which is considered as a safest place in Afghanistan.I am deeply concerned about my

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
1/2/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 1 month ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I am so sorry that this his happening to you. I read your situation but then it was cut off at the end when you said " I am deeply concerned about my..." then it is cut.
What are you deeply concerned about and what are your questions regarding this situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
after that these are sentences
I am deeply concerned about my safety and persecution if I return to Afghanistan because People in the neighborhood may spread the word to Taliban regarding my current and past association with the USA and will kill me like others as they don’t show mercy for people affiliated with the USA.I am being diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis with multiple joints pains (proof is available). I am a registered student with a documented disability with DRES (proof is available). Cutting-edge treatments and anti-rheumatoid medications like Simponi are not available in both Pakistan and Afghanistan to prevent the progression of the disease. People with disability continue to face major challenges in Afghanistan like no access to public services, lack of good health care, negative attitudes from society and physical accessibility (accommodation). Lack of these resources impedes the ability of disabled people to become independent.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did you go through my the whole statement
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you there

Yes, I will read now. Please give me a few minutes.

I have read the statement. Now I need to know what your questions are regarding your situation?

Ely, Counselor at Law