Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have paid US income tax for 17 years. what is the medical…

Customer Question
I have paid US...

I have paid US income tax for 17 years. what is the medical insurance and social security benefit. I am a Canadian citizen, 55 year old. I want to live in US, because I have a house there. It is not easy to find a right job if I am outside of US. I want to know how to enter US with a legal status

Lawyer's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I would like to enter US with a legal status

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/29/2017
Immigration Lawyer: taxmanrog,
 replied 6 months ago
taxmanrog

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

I answered your other question. In order to save you costs, please respond to that question.

Thanks!

I have 30 year experience on artificial intelligence (17 years in US). SAS used to sponsor me with E12 category, but the hired lawyer asked many publication records. I am doing commercial researches, most of these researches cannot be published. I have a good reference from a world famous scientist (my former boss in US). Recently, my friend with less experience and less publication got green card with E12 category very quickly. I don't know who can help me to get green card with E12 category quickly
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, there is no visa available just because you own property in the U.S. What level of education do you have? Do you have money to invest? How much?

Immigration Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

"Under the right circumstances, you are allowed to become a citizen of both Canada and the United States, simultaneously. Many people enjoy the benefits of dual citizenship, allowing them to to travel back and forth freely, vote, and otherwise take advantage of the rights of citizens in both countries.

Before thinking about citizenship, however, you must find out whether you qualify to immigrate to either the United States or Canada in the first place. (We're assuming that you're already a citizen of one of these countries.) Citizenship is the highest immigration benefit you can obtain in either country, and getting to that point involves many steps.

There is no separate application procedure to apply for dual citizenship. If you're already a citizen of one of these countries and become a citizen of the other without taking active steps to renounce your original citizenship, you are a dual citizen. It's as simple as that. (Note that taking the "oath of allegiance" to the United States, as described below, is not considered a renunciation of your Canadian or other citizenship.)

Basic Requirements

Although Canada and the United States share a border and a language and are cooperative in many ways (including allowing easy border crossings), neither country offers citizens of the other country any special rights to permanent immigration. You will need to fit yourself into some highly complex categories of eligibility in order to become a resident of the other country. Only after you've spent some years as a legal resident and demonstrated good moral character (in particular, committed no crimes) can you apply for citizenship.

If, however, one of your parents was born in Canada but you were born in the United States, or vice versa, you might qualify for citizenship in both countries -- check the laws that were in place during the year of your birth.

Immigration Rules for the United States

If you were not born in the United States and don't have parents who are citizens there, you need to take several steps to become a citizen. First, you need to apply for a green card or "permanent residence," which will allow you to live in the United States on a permanent basis. The main categories for green cards are based on either having close family members who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, having been offered a job in the United States in a field in which the employer is unable to find a ready, able, and willing U.S. worker to fill the position, or having $1 million to invest in a U.S. business. (See our green card quiz for the various routes.)

Once you have been a permanent resident for five years (at least half of which were spent living in the United States) and met various other criteria, you can apply to become a citizen.

The citizenship application process involves attending an interview and taking an exam, during which you will need to prove you can speak and understand English and correctly answer a number of questions on U.S. history and government. You'll also need to take an the oath of allegiance to the United States and be willing to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces if called upon to do so. (Remember, the oath does not mean you can't get dual citizenship, and the United States does not currently have a mandatory draft.)

For more information, see the website of the U.S. Embassy in Canada at http://canada.usembassy.gov."

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/dual-citizenship-united-states-canada.html

I have more specific information for you as well, because property ownership is, sadly, not enough/

This a link for the forms https://ca.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/citizenship-claims/

If you area able to get employment in the US you move more quickly trhouh the visa process.

I can also provide link for FREE consultation Attorneys in your area that can assist you. Let me now if that would help?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.