Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

What are the requirements for acquisition of US citizenship…

What are the requirements for...
What are the requirements for acquisition of US citizenship at birth through a US citizen parent currently living abroad?
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What is the date of birth of the person that is looking to claim U.S. Citizen at birth? What was the marital status of the parents? Was one parent not a U.S. Citizen? Was the U.S. Citizen the mother or father?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The birthdate of one child is July 1, 2004 and the second child was born September 3, 2006.The parents were married. Only one parent, the father, has US citizenship

The father has to prove that BEFORE each child was born, he was physically present in the U.S. for at least 5 years and that at least 2 of those years was after he turned 14. If he can do that, he should file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA):

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/while-abroad/birth-abroad.html

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!!!

You are very welcome. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.