Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

My F1 visa was denied under 214b. I read all about this

Hello. My F1 visa...

Hello. My F1 visa was denied under 214b. I read all about this article on the web but I still don't understand what they exactly mean. I read that there could be a lot of reasons summarized in 214b and I can't exactly understand which is my case

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I had the interview at the US embassy, the officer just told me "Madam, we have to do come cheks" and he gave me a paper with a 221g administrative processing (but I read they do that a lot of times just to do some cheks), after a week I received a questionnaire to fill, I did it and I sent to the US embassy, and after two days I cheked my status online and it was Refused, then I got a mail telling me to go to the courrier to take my passport, and when I went to take it, there was a paper telling the visa was denied under 241b

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the F-1 visa?

No I didn't

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's all

12/22/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

A 214b rejection can encompass a lot of things. See HERE. Which one of these was the reason? OR, you were not told?

Hello. Thank you for your reply. I read a lot on the web about the 214b but I am confused and no, I don't know the exactly reason. I was put under administrative processing and then I went to the courrier to take my passport and there was a paper just telling that the visa was refused under 214b

Sure. When the consulate officer determines that additional processing is required before they can make the decision, then they issue the 221(g). So that is what that was, and that is it.

We are still left with the 214(b) question however. Is there any way you can upload a copy of the rejection letter so I can take a look?

I can't upload at the moment but I can just text you the exactly words of the letter.
"Dear Applicant, you have been found ineligible for a nonimmigrant visa under section 214(b) of the US immigrati and Nactionality Act. A denial under section 214b means that you were not able to demonstrate that your intender activities in the USA would be consistente with the classification of the nonimmigrant visa for which you applied. If you choose to reapply, you should be prepared to provide information that was not presented in your original application or to dimostrate that your circumstances have changed since that application"

Ah, okay. And you were applying for which visa? B2?

For F1 visa

Thanks. Okay, we actually know what has happened here. You were denied because the US consulate did not believe that you were really intending to finish your study course. More, like you were intending to use the visa as an excuse to come to US to either:

1) marry someone for a greencard (did you mention you had a special someone?); or

2) work for someone unofficially; or

3) something else.

Someone in your situation may wish to ask for a reconsideration, and show documents that show that you intend to study the program and nothing else, such as your educational history which shows that you've been on the same track for years, letters from friends/family affirming your honest intentions, etc.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

But I was not going to US to marry someone neither to work illegally. How can someone convince the consular officer that this is not true?! (I am a medical doctor and I was going for a study course for doctors, sure I was not going to work there like a doctor illegally)
Consular office didn't ask me nothing special, he just asked me if I had the money for the course (and I showed him the letter of the bank) and about my previous trips

Okay. Tell me about your previous trips and what kind of visas did you use?

Also what country are you applying from, and if you were not born there, what is your original country of origin?

I applied from Italy (originally Italian, Italian citizenship) and I always used tourist visas for every trip I had. I went to US this year too, one month (maybe it could be the reason? but it was just for tourism). Other trips: some European countries, like Spain, UK, Portugal, Turkey, then Egypt in 2011, Ethiopia in 2008. (Every trip I mentioned just for tourism)

Thank you. There may be a question about your trips to Turkey and Egypt since right now, those are sensitive areas. But I do not know if that is it.

Last question. Do you already have a medical program you applied and were accepted into, in USA, prior to filing for the visa? AND IF SO, DID YOU SHOW THOSE DOCUMENTS TO THE CONSULAR AGENT?

I had the school letter about the course, and the I-20 (the document schools normally provide to the students who are enrolled). Yes sure, he asked me for the school document and I showed him. Then he asked me if I had the money and I showed him the letter of the bank.
Do you think a F denied could affect in the future for another type of visa? I don't know, like a J or a H?

While your acceptance/denials for visas are logged, each application is judged on its own merits. I doubt that a denial here will "bar you for life," so to speak.

What I would do is request a meeting with the consular agent or simply write a letter, asking specifically why one was denied. They SHOULD give you more details as to why, because 214(b) simply covers too many topics.

I am sorry; I wish I could give you a more specific answer, but there is none until you get a clarification.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ok I will try to do it. I am going to ask you a last question: do you think having a relative resident in the US can affect a visa application? I have a relative living in the US (a uncle).

An uncle? No. However having someone close may. For example, the consular agent may believe that you may try to file for an adjustment of status based on a sister or mother living in USA.

But an uncle cannot sponsor you. So that cannot happen. It should not be an issue.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ok, thank you for your help. Maybe the reason is due to the previous trips, I really can't imagine anything else.

You are welcome. We simply won't know until you get a clarification, I am afraid.

Ely, Counselor at Law