Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Thanks Judith! I have one last question. If I get married…

Customer Question
Thanks Judith! I have one...
Thanks Judith! I have one last question. If I get married with a citizen, Whats the process and timeline of changing immigration status?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/20/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Hi, welcome back!

Here is what you will need: Find instructions for each here:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms

I-130 & I-130A Immigrant Petition (signed by US citizen spouse)

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)

I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)

I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)

G-325A Biographic Sheet (one for alien)

G-1145

A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil surgeon (find one here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

I-864 Affidavit of Support

Two passport sized photos of spouse

Six passport size photos of alien

Copy of alien’s passport including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of US citizen birth certificate, natz cert or passport

Copy of spouse's birth certificate

Copy of any divorce decrees

Copy of marriage certificate

One check for the I-130 in the amount of $535

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,225

Once you file you will will obtain your employment authorization and advance parole in 4-5 months.

You can continue on your OPT during this wait.

There are incredible backlogs for interviews since Trump has dictated that every adjustment, through relative or work, is required to have an interview for their adjustment. No additional stafr has been hired for this. Because of huge number of IT workers in CA, it is predicted that all field offices in CA will be one of the states with the most severe backlogs, you can anticipate a wait of one year or more for your interview.

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer