Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I receive an I-94 at port of entry while entering US on an…

Hi, I receive an...

Hi, I receive an I-94 at port of entry while entering US on an H1B visa. But my I-94 expiry date was set to Feb. 2018 when my passport was expiring and adjudicated until August 2019. Now on the online I-94 website, my I-94 has been extended to Aug. 2019, but the Arrival/Departure number is ***** from the one that I have in my about-to-expire passport. My employer is at the stage of filing my I-140 application after getting my PERM approval last month. Now, I'm wondering if the I-94 number change is a mistake that we need to have corrected or move forward and use the new I-94 number in the I-140 application.

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I'm on H1B and have no pending petitions or applications.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. The main issue is the change in the I-94 number and whether that's normal or a mistake that we need to have corrected before filing an I-140 petition.

12/20/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Hi Guillermo,
Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Which was the CBP office that issued your I-94 when you entered the U.S.?

We entered via land border with Montreal Canada.
We entered via land border with Montreal Canada. Highgate Springs, I think.
I'm not entirely sure though. On their stamp, there's this number:2135
But I don't recall what the office's actual name was.
But I don't recall what the office's actual name was. and there's the letters: HIG
It was probably Highgate Springs.

So it went through pre-clearance? That's an issue because I was going to recommend going to that local CBP office INSIDE of the U.S. for verification.

I don't know what pre-clearance means. I received my H1B visa from US consulate in Montreal and entered the US at Highgate Springs where they gave me the I-94 document.

Ok. Then I would go to that local office or at least contact them and have them verify what your actual I-94 is. Here is a link:

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/highgate-springs

If they issued the last one and a correction has to be made, they have to do it. So get that taken care of before you file the I-140 and make sure to extend your status before the correct I-94 expires.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Does that mean that the I-94 number I have on the CBP website has been entered on their system at Highgate Springs as well?
Ignore my last question please.

Do not worry, you are not charged per question! Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

I do have another question:

No worries. You can continue to ask follow-up questions on this thread without additional charge even after you leave a positive rating. What else would you like to know?

As I said, my passport was expiring in Feb 2018 and my I-94 was issued until that date and adjudicated until Aug. 2019. Now on the CBP website, my I-94 expires in Aug. 2019. Does that mean it has been extended?

That means that PROBABLY they extended it, but my answer remains the same. If you want peace of mind, I would contact the CBP office that issued the original I-94 and corrected it to make sure which is the correct I-94.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Based on the information I gave you, and your experience, do you think the number change is a mistake by CBP or "not a mistake" as the number is ***** associated with my new passport?

Have you gotten a new passport or you still have the old one expiring in February?

I got a new one.

Then they probably extended it. But don't be afraid to contact them. Do it just to verify. Better that you know for sure and have an issue later.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Thanks for your advice.
My pleasure!