Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Well i would like to know what happens if i get a divorce.

Customer Question
Well i would like...

Well i would like to know what happens if i get a divorce. My wife just got her 2 year temporary residency we filed for her children. And they got aproved. Now all of a sudden we are having problems and divorce has been brought up. What happens if we get divorced

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No she diesnt want to fight nothing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/20/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

At the moment of divorce, nothing, but in order for her to get her 10 year green card, she will have to file an I-751 in waiver format by herself and prove to USCIS that even though you divorced, the marriage was real and just fell apart. As I am sure you are aware, many marriages between two U.S. Citizens end in divorce after a short time too. USCIS knows this happens so they created a method for cases like hers. The burden of proof would be on her to convince them that it was a real marriage but just fell apart. If you don't want to help her, if you suspect that she only married you for the green card, you can report it to USCIS by contacting the local Field Office and providing whatever evidence that you have.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

What about her children ?
I have allready signd and are waiting for permit In about a year we wer told

Her children would be listed under her I-751 waiver and they would all be processed together. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!