Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Me and my fiance is getting confused whether we should get…

Customer Question
Good morning Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Me and my fiance is getting confused whether we should get married first or just do the fiancee visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

We've been together physically for 44 months

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No applications yet Still deciding which one is best for us get married first or do the fiancee I am working in the UAE and he was working here until he got laid off this month

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well he i currently choosing a job between US and Iraq main concern is what is the best strategy for us to be physically together once he leave UAE to start a new job

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/20/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 2 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Which way you choose depends on your preference. By when do you want to move to the US?

I'll explain our history. We met 5 years ago in Abu Dhabi through a common friend and we hit off and later began dating. Now we are together physically for 44 months since our jobs are in the same country which is UAE. We got engaged and planning to get married on Feb or March 2018 but circumstances changes since he got laid off job. Now we are looking for the best strategy to do to be together once he leave UAE this Feb or March. We are trying to decide whether getting married is the best or applying for fiancee visa and get married in US. He is a US veteran, 35 y/o and I am a filipina with an administrative job in Abu Dhabi. He is still deciding which job he will take as of now USA or Iraq but we wanted to move in US as soon as possible.

If your preference is to move to the US as soon as possible then the fiance visa (K-1) may be your better bet. For this visa, it will take about 6-9 months after you apply for the whole process to be complete and for you to enter the US, if it is approved. Once you enter the US, you must marry within 90 days. Then once you're married you can submit your applications for a permanent residence card in the US. In this option, you get to the US sooner . To do this you file form I-129F fee $535 then $1225 in the US.

The other option is to get married first and have him petition for you. That option will take about 9 months to a year for the whole process to be complete. The good thing is that once you enter the US, you will already be a permanent resident and dont need to submit more forms. To do this you file form I-130 fee $535. No other fee in the US.

You can find these forms on uscis.gov/forms

In conclusion, the faster option is the Fiance Visa for you to get to the US sooner. You can begin this process right away.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

-----------------

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

we really wanted to get married first as I still have a contract in the UAE for 1 year. But if he take the job in Iraq isnt it going to affect the petition for spouse visa especially we will process right after the marriage is done?
if he works in Iraq where does he file the I-130 granted that his US address is in Florida, Miami
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney