Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a question about immigration law. I filed N400

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a question about immigration law

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I filed N400 biometric is done. My case is in line for interview from 7-9-2017. I am separated from my wife from july. I filled in end of may.If my wife files a divorce before my interview what will happen ?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/19/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 5 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Please clarify:

1) Please tell me whether your greencard is based on marriage.

2) When did you get your greencard?

3) Did you ever file the I-751, and if so, when? Was it approved?

green card is based on marriage, I got my 10 years green card in June 2017, I have filed I I751. Everything was approved
Now I have applied N400 and my bio matrics are done. Case have been excepted. I have the following status right nowOn September 7, 2017, we started the interview scheduling process for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization , Receipt Number NBC**************. We will send you an interview notice. Please follow any instructions in the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Okay, two more questions:

When did you get your greencard, initially?

Is your citizenship application based on marriage or 5 year residence?

I got my initial conditional green card on 8-26-2014.
My Citizenship application based on Marriage.

Thank you. Nothing should happen provided that the divorce is not completed before your citizenship is finalized.

However, one wants to finish getting their citizenship before the divorce is finalized, which may mean dragging out the divorce.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law