Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife file for i 485 and a change of status from fiance to…

Customer Question
Good morning Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning

Lawyer's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

My wife file for i 485 and a change of status from fiance to permanent resident. i just received a notice from USCIS to produce my (pertitioner0 most recent tax returns. what should i do because i have not filed for the last two years 2015, 2016, filing status self employed

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

All

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i just received the notice yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats all what should i do in case like this

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Being self-employed does not normally excuse you from filing taxes, but speak to an accountant about this. You will need to submit a written explanation as to why you did not file the taxes. Unfortunately, if they do not accept your proof of income, then you will need a Joint Sponsor. This Joint Sponsor must also file the same Affidavit of Support that you do and submit the same evidence that you still have to submit. The Joint Sponsor can be any U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident that is over the age of 18 that makes the minimum amount. It does not have to be a family member or a household member.

They will need to file the following with their I-864:

1) Copies of the last income taxes.
2) Copies of the last 1099s and/or W-2s.
3) Copies of the last 3 to 6 bank statements.
4) Copies of the Last 3 to 6 paycheck stubs.
5) Letter from the employer on company letterhead stating salary, position, time with the company and prospects for continued employment in the near future.
6) Proof of their U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency and age.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

i have already filed. i receive a notice requesting for my most recent tax returns. my question is. ? i didnot filed for 2015 and 2016, what should i do now. i have no reason not to filed. i was planning to filed for the previous years next year

Then speak to an accountant about putting a late filing together of at least 2016 and submit those tax returns when you have them. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

is there any other respond i could send to them other than filling those recent taxes?

The I-864 is the second most common problem with this type of case, the first being proving that that marriage is real. Yes, it's going to be a problem. If you cannot prove to the U.S. government that you make enough money per year to ensure that the U.S. tax payer will not have to support your spouse, then it is a problem. Don't screw around with this. Either get your stuff in order, or find a Joint Sponsor.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!