Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a PhD in Engineering and currently leaving in Japan.I…

Customer Question
Hello, My name is *****...
Hello, My name is ***** ***** a PhD in Engineering and currently leaving in Japan.I want to move to America to start-Up a business.Please what visa option is good for me and how can I go about it?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/17/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Is it a new business you will be forming? Or is it already operating in Japan and you want to expand to the US?

No the business is not yet operation.I want to register, start and manage the business in America from scratch.

Okay. There is a visa for someone opening a business in the US with a significant investment of at least $100,000. Would you be investing that amount of money into the business? Do you have a business plan?

Ok thanks.I don’t have such amount but I have a business plan that is very feasible and rich with a new and unprecedented business model.I have only $10,000 but I believe I can woo investors to fund my plan and that’s one of my main motivation for operating in US.Of course, apart from the fact my business prosper and easily expand globally from US.

Have you looked into getting an E-2 Visa? Possibly, it could still work if you believe that you can "woo investors." A well thought out business plan that you have will be beneficial for the application process.

I see I will look at the E-2 Visa requirement.But please could you give me an estimate of what the application process would cost financially?

If you hire a company to do it for you (or an attorney), the cost can vary. Possibly, a few thousand dollars. Or you could attempt to do it yourself.

Here are the steps if you are currently outside the U.S.

• You will need to file an I-129 petition and wait for approval.
  • If the petition is approved, you will then be issued an appointment date for an interview with an immigration officer.
  • On that date, you will need to travel to the designated U.S. consulate or embassy in your home treaty country in order to have your biometrics taken and go through your interview. You must bring your completed DS-160 with you along with the E2 visa fees involved.
  • If the interview goes well and your background check is cleared, then you will be issued your E2 visa in a few weeks.

If you have further questions, just let me know.

Ok thanks.I’ll look at my options and get back to you.

You are welcome.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney