Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a natural born US citizen, disabled combat veteran, yrs…

Customer Question
Hello, I am a...

Hello, I am a natural born US citizen, disabled combat veteran, 69 yrs old. I married a female from and living, at the time of marriage, in Venezuela. We did all the legal and required actions of the state dept. that allowed my wife entry into the US as my wife and she later did all the required procedures, and became a U.S. citizen. According to the information, as we understood it, to allow her immediate family immigration into the U.S. was difficult to understand and the list of required documentations seemed to be impossible to accomplish. Now, as the atrocious conditions present and growing worse in Venezuela have her family in dire conditions and we have tried to seek a avenue to allow them to come to the U.S under our sponsorship for their entry to the US. I do not understand the inequality of immigration authorities allowing "unknown derelicts, terrorists, social burdens, etc" access to the US yet restricting the immigration of my wife's family, who are now respectable, up right and hard working people with no criminal past, once very successful business owners and professionals. Who are now suffering in dire straights the very ability to exist/survive in the corrupt and murderous conditions in Venezuela. What about this chain immigration that allows anyone and everyone of a unknown, non-veted, possible illegal to brings whom ever they desire, a free pass to come to the US? Yet my family can't. Please advise. Thank you *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I have tried to comply with the written laws of immigration, and find their solution is limited to age, and years of requests and BS to allow decent people in peril, who are my wife's family the ability to immigrate under their terrible situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A point that may be of interest, all the applications, visits to the consulate in Venezuela, my wife getting her green card and finally her citizenship, was done in such a short time and with great efficiency. Why this mess of what we are want to do, and have simply given up.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/16/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

You made the following commentary:

I couldn't agree with you more. DHS has consistently raised fees for filings. The USCIS supports itself by the fees. Yet, as they increase the fees they do not increase the personnel in the USCIS. Rather DHS is using the fees to support enforcement - ICE -.and hiring thousands and building the wall with the money which is supposed to be designated towards the USCIS operations. I totally get your frustration.

Now how can I help you with your problem of the petitions filed by your wife?

Which of her relatives did she file for?

What is the date she filed the petitions?

If it was her adult children, are they married or single?

Without a doubt the conditions in Venezuela are horrendous causing a shortage of basic necessities of life such as food staples and the government is just taking businesses from it's citizens. I get it. I have friends who owned a 3 generation factory there that the government refused to allow supplies to be purchased by them to produce their product. They simply abandoned it and fortunately had obtained US citizenship like your wife and they came back here to live.

Please tell me what your problems are and let me try to sort it out for you. I am no magician but maybe I will be able to provide some information and direction in this mess.

Judith