Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My husband and I just got married but he doesn’t have 3

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I just got married but he doesn’t have 3 years of taxes to file for the green card application what can we do? Also we don’t have a sponsor

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/16/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Ok
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Give me just a few minutes to type up some information for you, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Your husband can still prove that he has enough money to meet the financial requirements of the I-864 by providing copies of other assets that he has.

Does he own other property, houses, a 401K or other investments that will meet the financial obligations of the sponsorship agreement?

We are both young but he just became part owner of a good restaurant and he just got a new job as well, it’s all new so that’s why we don’t have any tax return for the required 3 years
can we use that?
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Yes you can use that, however USCIS is going to require a co-sponsor to demonstrate a consistent income for the past 3 years that meets the income requirements.

Do you have a family member or friend that would be willing to be a joint sponsor?

Your husband can use his current income, but the joint sponsor will be needed to demonstrate income over the past 3 years in order for your petition to be approved.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

We don’t have any sponsor, there’s no way around that?
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Unfortunately no, there isn't.

USCIS is very strict about the requirements for financial sponsorship.

This is because they want to ensure that visa or green card recipients are not going to become dependent on government assistance programs such as food stamps, housing benefits, etc.

The I-864 is USCIS' way of ensuring that won't happen.

Sorry to not have better news for you.

If you are able to obtain a joint sponsor, the joint sponsor is not required to live in the same house as you, or even the same state, and it does not have to be a relative ..so any friend or colleague you have that would be willing to fill out the I-864 and provide copies of their financial documents would be able to qualify.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions.

​Please take a moment to leave a positive rating for me, 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 6 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!