Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a permanent resident of Florida and I am a Canadian…

Customer Question
I am a permanent...

I am a permanent resident of Florida and I am a Canadian with a E1 Visa. May I purchase a firearm in the U.S. and can I import my "Canadian" firearms with a form 6A?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

A permanent resident of Florida with a E1 Visa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I was told that the NRA would be my best source of information.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

No the NRA is not your best source of the law. The Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms Division of the Dept of Justice is your best source of information.

It depends on the purpose of the purchase of a firearm. The ATF outlines the exceptions allowing you to possess a firearm.

An alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa is not prohibited from purchasing, receiving, or possessing a firearm if the alien falls within one of the following exceptions: (1) is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (2) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes; (3) has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States; (4) is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Government’s mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States; (5) is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited; (6) is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or (7) is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61841/download

An additional link from ATF

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/nonimmigrant-aliens

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

May a firearm that was temporarily imported into the United States remain in the United States?

An alien that temporarily imports a firearm into the United States must remove the firearm from the country at the conclusion of the visit.