Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My son, an American is marrying a girl from brazil, she is…

Customer Question
My son , an...

My son , an American is marrying a girl from brazil, she is here on a student visa, what do we need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

We / He is an American citizen, none

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are getting married January 6, 2018

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
12/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You r son's fiance is in the U.S. on an F-1 student visa. Once she marries your son she will be eligible to file for a U.S. green card.

The process is referred to as Adjustment of Status. She will need a certified copy of the government-issued marriage certificate. She will complete Form I-485 and attach supporting forms and documents. Your son will complete the Affidavit of Support on Form I-864.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

She will also be required to complete a medical examination and they both will have to complete an maariage/immigration interview. See:

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/what-happens-green-card-marriage-interview.html

These things will be done after the wedding.

Congratulations and best wishes.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald