Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My brother is 71yrs canadian, was married 5yrs to a us, now…

Customer Question
My brother is 71yrs...

My brother is 71yrs canadian , was married 5yrs to a us, now divorce 10yrs

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nevada, he applied for food stamps but denied because we can not find his ex wife who was his sponsor to sign some documents

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They only gave us tilol the 27th dec ember to find her

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 4 months ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Unfortunately, without his sponsor being located, this will not be easy. He would need to prove to them he has exhausted all reasonable means to locate her, including through her family and mutual friends, since they were together for 5 years he should know them. If he cannot locate her even after exhausting all reasonable means including social media, then he would need to file an appeal for benefits and present the evidence to welfare to have them make the determination. They could still refuse him based on the sponsor's legal duty to support him.

IF it comes to an appeal, he needs to go to the legal aid office to seek assistance with them representing him on the appeal.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.