Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an indian currently living united states i am working…

Customer Question
Hi I am an...

Hi I am an indian currently living united states i am working here and my parents are still in india i am planning a visit to india

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

Yes i am on h1 visa my question is not visa related

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Talkled to a lawyer for what

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes my question is about my personal safety when i come to india i have a reason to believe that there are people in my house who might try to harm me physically i want to know what i can do before my visit and during my visit legally to make sure i protect myself

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind this is for informational purposes only and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about this.

This is a situation that would be governed by Indian law, since the threat is at home in India.

Even though you hold a valid US visa, there is not anything that US law can do to help or protect you in the situation overseas.

In the US, you are alllowed to defend yourself with as much force as is necessary in relation to the force exerted by an attacker. That means that if someone attacks you with deadly force for example, you can defend yourself using deadly force. I'm not sure if the same is true for Indian law.

The best advice would be to avoid any foreseeable trouble. If there is a dangerous situtation then perhaps there are measures you can take to avoid that situtation or person, or to perhaps even delay your trip if possible.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 7 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!