Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have some questions regarding filling i539 form. I am yet…

Customer Question
I have some questions...

I have some questions regarding filling i539 form.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

I am yet to file for my spouse.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/13/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So what questions do you have about the I-539?

My wife and I are both currently on H1B. My wife wants to change her status from H1B to H4. So, we are trying to fill the i539 form. The first section in the form is asking for Alien number. Since she is on H1B, she does not have any Alien number. But, she was on F1-OPT(EAD) last year during which she had an Alien number. Does she have to mention that number even though she is on H1B now ?

Are you sure she had an A#? How are you sure?

Because she had OPT EAD card on which the Alien number was present.

If you are sure it is an A#, then that will always be hers and she should always use that number. So yes, she needs to use it because that is her number.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

What to enter in Part 3 - 1(b)?

Leave that blank. It is for persons normally granted F-1 student status or sometimes J-1 exchange status. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Sorry. I wanted to ask about Part 3 - 1(a).

The maximum you can extend their status is until the date your status expires.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Which documents should I attach to this i539 form?