Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Refugee travel document or re-enter permit for US LPR who…

Customer Question
Refugee travel document or...

Refugee travel document or re-enter permit for US LPR who got GC as result of approved asylum case.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So what would you like to know?

HI
I have a GC holder as a result of approved asylum case. now to travel abroad since I don't have my home country passport I need a travel document , I know there are 2 options :
1. Re-Entry Permit
2. Refugee Travel DocumentI know you can apply for both documents in form i-131 , and I know Refugee travel document is only valid for a year but Re-Entry permit is valid for 2 years.My question is , which one should I apply ? RTD or RP ? why ?I asked my attorney and he said I shouldn’t apply for the RTD because I m a GC holder and instead I have to apply for RP. But USCIS and the form I-131 says I can apply for either one .Well I know you use RTD instead of passport to travel ( because we have no passport ) but can you use RP in replacement of passport too ? For example to go to Germany or Canada ?I know there are countries that don’t accept RTD and some don’t accept RP and some don’t accept both but which one really should I get ? I know RTD is cheaper but valid for 1 year and RP is more expensive and it’s valid for 2 years . I don’t care about the money here as much as I care to have a safe return to USA after travel abroad and also I do care that which one ( RTD or RP ) is more accepted internationally.Also Do I need to get any RTD or RP for my daughter who is US born citizen and she already has a USA passport ?
Most important question : I m from the 6 countries ( Travel Ban ) and I want to go to the third country to visit my family . Do you think is it risky even with GC and travel document ( and not using my home country passport and not going to my home country ) ?
If I want to apply for RP in form i-131 , there is a question in part 5 which asks " Since I became a permanent resident how much total time did I spend out of USA " I didn't leave USA ever since I came to USA and obviously I didn't leave USA since I became PR . but there is no option for None , the only option which is fewer than the others is less than 6 months . what should I do ?

Re-Entry Permit is if you will be outside of the U.S. for a long period of time, up to two years. It prevents you from abandoning Residency. The Travel Permit is what you need since you are not allowed to use a passport from your previous country nor are you allowed to travel to your previous country even through a third country, at least until you become a U.S. Citizen.

Your daughter only needs a U.S. Passport.

As to who and who does not accept a Travel Permit, that I cannot but what I can tell you is if they do not accept a Travel Permit, then you probably shouldn't go there because if you try to get a passport from your original country and try to use it, you can put your Lawful Permanent Residency at risk.

You can go to a third country but make sure you document your stay there so that IF the U.S. suspects that you went to your home country through this third country, you have proof of your full stay in the third country. Please don't ask me how you will do that, normally it is with proof of hotel stay, airline tickets, etc. If you do not stay at a hotel, it becomes harder, like you would need credible witness statements and such.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I see that you asked for a refund. Did I do something wrong? Please let me know. Thank you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.