Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Naturalized through Military. Will my citizenship get

Naturalized through Military. Will...

Naturalized through Military. Will my citizenship get revoked if I get medically discharged?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

Already naturalized

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

12/12/2017
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Been naturalized about a year ago. (12/2016)
Been in the service about 1.5 year,(06/2016) getting med boarded or medically discharged out in 4 months for depression.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Does the discharge call into question your good moral character? Will it be other than an honorable discharge?

They said it would be either honorable or general, under honorable conditions

Then you should be fine. The issue would be if it was a dishonorable discharge or called into question your good moral character. Since it doesn't seem like it, you should be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. In my understanding, you would have to serve at year in honorable condition to either apply or maintain the US citizenship. Now, I'm not so sure if discharge under honorable condition would satisfy the requirement. That's what I'm most concerned about.

You applied after completing boot camp, correct?

This is the worry, "A person who obtains U.S. citizenship through his or her military service and separates from the military under “other than honorable conditions” before completing five years of honorable service may have his or her citizenship revoked."

I assume you are not serving the full 5 years, but as long as you are not separating in "other than honorable conditions", then you should be ok.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!