Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If a battered spouse who has been duped by her spouse into a…

Customer Question
If a battered spouse who...
If a battered spouse who has been duped by her spouse into a visa overstay situation (he told her he had repeatedly renewed a B1/B2 visa - for more than 3 years) - utilizes the battered spouse provisions for green card application - is that not a quite reasonable thing to do??One lawyer suggested there could be legal jeopardy in doing that if the relationship eventually ends due to the abuse - but I didn’t quite understand the reason that would be viewed adversely - if it emanates from the abuse etc..??The hope is that the relationship can be saved - through counseling etc - but if things go downhill - we would not want our relative to be compromised by her residency application being viewed adversely by dint of a subsequent marital breakdown...Thanks!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 8 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry, I didn't see it was you. Are you looking for a second opinion? If you are, that's good. I can opt out for you so that another expert can answer. Just let me know.

exactly - was seeking greater comfort and clarity around this challenging idea of seeking use of the battered spouse provisions - and then the concern about possible jeopardy if the abusove relationship didn’t last ...

Ok. I will opt out. Good luck.

Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

I am not clear on why the other attorney suggested legal jeopardy if you file the I-360.

Do you have proof of psychological abuse as a result of the lies told to you by your spouse regarding extension of stay?

Have you sought counseling about this and is the counselor willing to provide a report for USCIS regarding counseling for the lies your spouse has engaged in?

Judith