Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a US citizen who is in the process of a divorce and am…

Customer Question
I am a US...

I am a US citizen who is in the process of a divorce and am planning to remarry when it is finalized to a non-immigrant visa holder. However, their visa may expire before my divorce can be finalized. Is there a form or option beyond an extension application that we can file to extend his stay? I was told by a family member that a fiance visa would not be allowed in this case because he is already residing in the US. Is that true? If not, is that a form I can file before my divorce is finalized (if needed) in order to extend my fiance's stay here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

I am a natural born US citizen. My fiance has an application for permanent residency that has been in processing for over three years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, is that something that would expedite the process?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 5 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What is the visa that your fiancé used to enter the U.S. the last time? Has he ever had a J-1 visa?

Hello! I promise not to shoot the messenger.I'm not sure of the visa code exactly. I know it is a work type visa and a non-immigrant status issued approx. six years ago.

It's very important. Call him and ask him to check his passport. Is it a J-1, H-1B, H-2B, C-1/D, D-1, or C-1?

I will ask. At the moment, he is at work and unavailable. Will this chat be open for me to come back with an answer for you later today?

Yes, it remains open. Take your time as this is very important.

Ely, Counselor at Law