Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I have a 21 year old male living with me who was adopted…

Customer Question
I have a 21...

I have a 21 year old male living with me who was adopted from Thialand when he was 6 years old. He is estranged from his adoptive parents but we need his passport and citizenship papers and they refuse to give them to him

Lawyer's Assistant: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?

No. I am unsure of what to do next. Even if he applies for citizenship, we need papers that his parents refuse to give him. He does have a social security card

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I was not sure what type of lawyer to speak to and did not know if an official letter was sent to his parents if they would comply

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/11/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You can report it lost here

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/after/lost-stolen.html

ost or Stolen Passports

Report your passport lost or stolen immediately to protect yourself from identity theft. You can replace it now or later - it's up to you! Once you report a passport lost or stolen, it is invalid and cannot be used for international travel.

How to Report your Lost or Stolen Passport

Report your passport lost or stolen by using one of the 3 options below:

Online:
Click on the tool below, and navigate to the "Report Lost or Stolen" tab.

Mail:
Complete, sign, and mail Form DS-64 to the address on the form.

Phone:
Call us toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****). If you want to apply for a new passport, you'll have to also fill out the paper Form DS-64 to turn in with your application.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

To replace a lost or stolen passport, you must submit Form DS-11 in person.

IF...THEN...

You are in the United States and are traveling in 2 weeks
or lessMake an appointment to apply in person at a passport agency or center to replace your passport. (Based on need, some restrictions apply.)

You are in the United States and are not traveling within 2 weeksMake an appointment (if required) to apply at an authorized passport acceptance facility to replace your passport.

You are outside the United StatesContact your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to replace your passport. Also, please see our Frequently Asked Questi

He can then apply for a new replacement.If he was adopted in the US he can get replacement birth certificate with adoptive names from bureau of vital statistics.These are his remedies here to get back the needed information.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays.

Ray, Lawyer