Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am canadian citizen married to us permanent resident ?so…

Customer Question
I am canadian citizen...

I am canadian citizen married to us permanent resident ?so we like to live together in us?how can i start

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have two children how about them?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/10/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 7 months ago
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I'm not sure if your question was cut off. All I can see it this "i am canadian citizen married to us permanent resident ?so we like to live together in us?how can i start"

How can you start what?

Getting permition for work and live together with my Wife in us ?
Ok call me ?
Why no answer ?
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer
Hi there. Your previous Expert has opted out. Would you like to continue with me?

Hello again. I did not opt out. I am happy to continue answering you. I am so sorry about yesterday but my internet was not working so I could not help you or let you know.

If your wife is a permanent resident, she can submit your I-130 family petition in order to petition your green card in the US. However, since she is a permanent resident there is a two year wait for a green card. And you will not be able to get your green card in the US if you are currently here illegally. Once she is a US citizen, then there is no wait time and you can get your green card immediately in the US. It may be better to wait until she becomes a US citizen because there is no direct benefit of applying now unless you are legally in the US. It gives you no benefit just to apply while you wait those 2 years.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

I was in us going and coming back to Canada because of my wife between us and Canada not illegal there I can be there with out visa needs ? So I am being able to see her all the time I love to change that to live in some household ?

Ok I understand. If your wife petitions you like I mentioned before, then the wait is about 1.5 -2 years. During that time you cannot stay in the US longer than usual. You can only stay in the US the same amount of time you stay in the US as a Canadian now. There is no other benefit while you are waiting. If she was a citizen, it would be different.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

Did you have additional questions?

Immigration Lawyer: Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney replied 6 months ago

Hello again.. I see that you were able to view my answer a few days ago, but you did not ask any follow ups or leave me any feed back.

Please let me know how else I can help AND PLEASE kindly keep in mind that we experts do not receive a salary from this website. We only receive credit when you leave a good rating for us with the stars ★★★★★ on the top of the page.

Thank you for your consideration of our work and time here. HAPPY NEW YEAR!