Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I want to marry my Indian fiance in India. We are not

Customer Question
I want to marry...

I want to marry my Indian fiance in India

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?

No.. we are not married yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My inquiry involves resident requirments i went to see her for almost two months a recent blog i read said one party must b resident for 30 days does that mean i dont have to wait to file for license

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
12/9/2017
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 7 months ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Just because you went to "see her for two months" that is not meaning you resided there for 30 days. Residency means you established a place to live, intending to remain there, not visiting. So in order to claim the visit was 30 days or more of residence, you have to show that you actually set up a place to live there not just temporarily stayed there.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

my question was does the fact that she lives there satisfy the residency requirement of one party residency.
Does one party have to b resident to marry foriegner ...or both

Thank you for your clarification.

Yes, as long as she was a resident there, then you satisfy the requirement as only one person needs to be resident.